Online teaching is becoming increasingly popular and relevant in today’s society. Much of the blame for the success of e-learning lies with specialized learning management platforms that provide a perfect environment to supply online training, Next we’ll mention what an LMSs is , what sorts of online learning platforms exist and what are its main advantages.
What Are LMS Platforms And Their Features
Learning management platforms or LMSs ( Learning Management System ) are virtual learning environments during which you’ll create classrooms and teach classes and courses online .
They bring distance learning closer to the face-to-face experience, also incorporating all the benefits of online learning.
L earning Serves to make environments where effective learning happens.
Management (Manager) Allows you to manage everything associated with this learning; creation of courses, activities, user management, evaluations, communication …
System: because it’s a computing system or platform
LMSs are mainly characterized by being online portals that need authentication to access them, use secure connection protocols, support different content formats and communication channels, are intuitive and straightforward to use and are highly customizable.
Types Of LMS
LMSs platforms can function support for face-to-face teaching , as a tool for blended or blended learning (Blended learning), or to supply training exclusively online . they are doing this by providing an environment and tools where it’s possible to make , store, communicate and manage educational activities and resources.
In the business environment they’re especially useful for the continual training of the workers of a corporation , allowing them to simply reconcile their different schedules (work, study, and leisure).
In the market there’s a good range of LMSs platforms where you’ll choose the foremost appropriate for every project. counting on the sort of license they work under, two sorts of LMSs are often found:
Licensed LMSs platforms
They are those professional LMSs platforms that require the acquisition of a license to be ready to use them . they’re advanced tools that have a mess of functions and options to supply knowledgeable learning environment.
These systems supported licenses, if they’re adapted to the requirements of the training that we would like to impart, are very comfortable, since we don’t need to worry about anything when hiring them. But they need the good disadvantage that being under a proprietary license creates a supplier dependency with the corporate that created the platform.
Both the event of possible customizations and therefore the updates will depend in the least times on the corporate , its interests or the budget you’ve got to hold out the customizations you need . Some samples of these sorts of licensed learning platforms are Blackboard or Pluto Learning management system
Open Source LMS Platforms
These are LMSs platforms that are liberal to use for both educational and professional projects . Among the most free learning platforms, Moodle and Dokeos stand out. They may require more work to start out up (although not always) than those with a proprietary license, but they need an excellent advantage ; the not being tied to one vendor because it’s easier to seek out suppliers that dominate the platform.
As it is open source, modifications are often made freely and normally have an outsized community of developers behind it that supports its update and therefore the implementation of latest functionalities.
Features And Functionalities Of An LMS
Although we will find many sorts of LMSs, we are getting to highlight some common characteristics and functionalities that we consider essential for any Learning management system :
● Course content creation and upload: An LMSs allows you to make course content and upload it during a big variety of formats, including audio, video, multimedia, documents, and more.
● User and course management: An its offers user management and course management. User enrollment, tagging, course management, order management, pre-enrollment, and course assignment are often done semi-automatically.
● Communications management: it can manage all course communications and notifications to interested users. for instance , an LMSs can automatically send a notification to all or any enrolled users when the teacher uploads a replacement assignment. No got to copy and paste contact details or switch between two digital services.
● Report management: An Learning management system can generate a good sort of reports, including progress, score, student engagement, and more. the info are often wont to gain valuable information on the effectiveness of the course content.
● Creating and managing assessments: Assessments are a key a part of any learning process. An LMSs makes it easy to make and manage these assessments, both assessed by the system and assessed by the tutor.